Monday, November 15, 2010

Artist Lecture: Alexandre Singh

I have to say it was great to see Alexandre Singh in action. When I tried to look up his work before the lecture I didn't really understand what he was doing. The idea of using a lecture format for artwork is interesting. It kind of turns the idea that art should speak through it's content without needing to be explained on it's head. The entire presentation is an explanation but it's the the artwork. During the presentation I kept thinking of how his performance was almost like a film. The images of the projections functioned almost like a montage.

The piece that I was most interested in after hearing him talk about it was "The Marque of the Third Stripe." Again this was a project that I didn't really understand from trying to look it up, but I think it is amazing. I love his ideas of writing an alternate history and creating his own pictorial language for that world.

Three Words: Meticulous, Energetic, Storytelling

Questions:

1) How did you come to storytelling as an artform?
It seems like it was just what he ended up doing. He is a tremendous speaker.

2) In trying to guide your audience do you try to leave room for their interpretations or is it more rigid than that?
I feel like his presentations and narratives are fairly rigid but with the lectures he builds his ideas up at a pace that you can't help but be pulled into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment