Monday, October 4, 2010

Artist: Blake D. Ogden

Okay, so I somehow managed to save this post as a draft instead of actually posting it Monday, but here it is.

I found Blake D. Ogden's work through Review Santa Fe with his project In My Grandmother's House. I think this project is really fascinating and it's something that I wish I could do. This ties in directly to my ideas of exploring places out of memory or the past. I think that part of my interest in going in search of the past or places of memory is driven by the fact that on both sides of my family, the houses I grew up in as "grandma's house" have sold and I'm no longer welcome there. It's very strange to be utterly familiar with a place have so many memories there and yet you can't actually go there. Something else that I think is really great about this work is how it doesn't seem limited to one type of shot. The content and compositions are all over the place, but they still function as a whole. This is something that I'm struggling to deal with in my work because it is definitely all over the place but I want it to be cohesive.

Quotes:

"Blake Ogden’s upcoming photography exhibition... is both personal and public, capturing his family’s history while aiming to explore the overall passing of time(Erekson)."

"the interiors are suffused with natural and artificial light that plays upon smooth delicate surfaces while creating a wealth of shadows, reflections, and translucencies. Here, everything is just so, as the artist seeks to fight time by capturing beauty before it disappears(Capasso). "

Artist Bio:
Blake D. Ogden received a BA from Bennington College with a major in Painting and Printmaking in 1995. While enrolled in the graduate program at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, he began serious work in photography. Photographs from his series In My Grandmother's House have been displayed in numerous solo and group exhibitions. In 2005 his work was featured in the group show Pretty Sweet: The Sentimental Image in Contemporary Art at the DeCordova Museum and Sculpture Park of Lincoln, Massachusetts. In 2008 his image My Mother Was An Only Child was on view at the Biennial at the Center for Maine Contemporary Art. His work has been published in Stephen Perloff's Photo Review and Plates to Pixels magazine.

Images:






Interview/Review:
http://www.artreview.com/profile/BlakeDOgden
http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/142059.html

Representation:
http://gallerykayafas.com/

Artist Website:
http://www.ogdenpictures.com/index.html

Citations:
Stoneham Theater exhibit explores universality of family relationshipsBy Kristin Erekson/CorrespondentFri Mar 27, 2009, 09:00 AM EDT

Capasso, Nick. "Pretty Sweet: the sentimental image in contemporary art." (2005): Web. 4 Oct 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment