Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Idea: Past

Quotes:
One's past is what one is. It is the only way by which people should be judged.
~Oscar Wilde

It is sadder to find the past again and find it inadequate to the present than it is to have it elude you and remain forever a harmonious conception of memory.
~F. Scott Fitzgerald

annotated bibliography:
Memory Distortion: How Minds, Brains, and Societies Reconstruct the Past. 3rd ed. Cambridge,Ma: Harvard University Press, 1995. Print.


The past is paramount to my ideas and my project. I can really relate to the Fitzgerald quote because in looking backward I have almost come to wish that I hadn't. In the beginning I thought I was looking for things from my past because they were something better or purer than the present. But now looking back has become a negative thing to me. I see the past and I can't recreate it by visiting these places where I have such strong memories. It only makes me struggle with not wanting to think about it because I can't get the high points back and I can't help but dwell on the lows. It's possible that focusing on these aspects of memory and the past might be the direction that my project needs to go in.

No comments:

Post a Comment