Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Idea: Museums

I'm really interested in looking at how history can be explored through the setting of a museum. Up until recently I have pretty much avoided the museums at the historical sites that I've visited. The reason being that it wasn't the "real" history, the actual landscape where the events took place. Moving forward I think that there is an interesting relationship there between actual history and how it is perceived and how it is different when removed from context.




Quotes:
"I seldom go into a natural history museum without feeling as if I were attending a funeral."
~John Burroughs

“Museums, museums, museums, object-lessons rigged out to illustrate the unsound theories of archaeologists, crazy attempts to co-ordinate and get into a fixed order that which has no fixed order and will not be co-coordinated! It is sickening! Why must all experience be systematized? A museum is not a first-hand contact: it is an illustrated lecture. And what one wants is the actual vital touch.” ~D.H. Lawrence

Text:
Bennett, Tony. The Birth of the Museum history, theory, politics. 1st ed. New York, NY: Routledge, 1995. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment