Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Artist Lecture: Larry Sultan from VCU Itunes U

I think one of the best things in the lecture came at the end when he was talking about the idea of access being key to being an artist. How to get access to do what ever your project is, or how to get work out so that it's being seen. I liked that he viewed it as a challenge to get your work out to people and to continue to work and be an artist even if the art market isn't supporting your work.

three words:
Documentary, conceptual, mixed-media

unknown fact:
I thought it was really interesting when he talked about how his Art experience or education came directly from his interaction with the advertising world and the billboards of the sunset strip

I had never seen his underwater work that won him the gugenheim grant. I thought it was really amazing. It's weird because I'm really drawn to water myself and have contemplated similar work, but never really knew how to do it or what to do with it. I think it shows a lot about what kind of artist he was that he would leave a successful collaboration on something that he knew had been successful to do what he really wanted with the underwater project.

No comments:

Post a Comment