Thursday, January 27, 2011

Idea: Battlefields

Virginia has a lot of battlefields. I can remember going to a bunch of them as a kid. I don't want my project to become all about documenting battlefields but I think they are something to look into. They act as a good historical marker for major events from Virginia's past. I think I'm going to start with some of the battlefields I haven't been to, then if they seem to be working out I may return to the ones I visited as a child.

Colonial National Historical Park - Yorktown Battlefield

On October 19, 1781, a British army under General Charles Lord Cornwallis was forced to surrender to General Washington’s combined American and French army. Upon hearing of their defeat, British Prime Minister Frederick Lord North is reputed to have said, "Oh God, it's all over." And it was. The victory secured independence for the United States and significantly changed the course of world history. ~National Park Service


Petersburg Civil War Sites

Crater

After months of fighting in the late spring of 1864, Union forces backed Robert E. Lee's Confederate army into defensive lines around Petersburg. For more than nine months the city endured a siege. ~Civil War Traveler

Text: The Official Virginia Civil War Battlefield Guide.

S., John. The official Virginia Civil War battlefield guide. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books, 2001. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment